I discovered my adoration for the farmers market last summer, when we finally hit the “big” one in town. I ended up going home with sunflowers, fresh produce and a fabulous cup of coffee. Oh, and a small obsession with the farmers market.
While we were on vacation we pulled over to stop at a few along the way, it solidified my love.
Why is the Farmers Market so Fantastic?
1. It’s local. You’re supporting the local people and your community. That itself is a pretty fantastic thing.
2. Freshness! When you think produce, you want fresh, right? Well, what’s fresher than some carrots uprooted from the ground this
morning and still covered in a bit of dirt?
3. Variety. I know so many people who think they’re just going to find the same old things at a farmer’s market. No, I’m probably not going to find a pineapple, but I’ve never found red carrots or rainbow tomatoes at the super market.
4. Flavor. I do not buy honey or maple syrup from the store. It’s disgusting. Growing up we made maple syrup which made me super picky since then. Not just those things though, but you get the real authentic flavor of how food is supposed to taste.
5. Organic. Organic is cool, right? Well, get your fresh, organic foods for far cheaper at the farmer’s market. Big stores mark those puppies up so much to make that mint on your health.
6. It’s Not Just Fruits & Veggies. Farm fresh eggs, milk and meat can also be found at some markets. You can also find soaps, body scrubs, lotions, potions, purses, jewelry, fresh cut flowers and so many awesome things!
7. The People. In general, people are pretty interesting if you take the time to have a good conversation with them. If I learned one thing growing up among farming, it’s that their secrets are no secrets. Many love to talk and share their tips and tricks. How to grow something, recipes and cooking tips, their life story. They’re pretty chatty people in my experience.
Have you been to your local farmers market?
What are some of your fav things to grab there? Feel free to share some of your loot & finds!